The world is changing and technology is leading the way. In order to remain successful in this digital era, many nonprofit organizations are replacing outdated legacy systems for more modern cloud-based financial management solutions. Making this move could also be a good idea for your nonprofit, but it’s hard to know where to start. Here are a few questions to ask as you consider whether the cloud is the right technology for your nonprofit.
Cloud solutions likely weren’t available when your nonprofit deployed the management software you have in place today. As noted in “21 Questions Every Nonprofit CFO Must Ask When Evaluating Cloud Financial Management Solutions,” an eBook, more nonprofits are taking advantage of cloud-based systems and realizing many benefits. When choosing the right technology and the right provider for your nonprofit, you need to ask these questions:
- What is the cloud? There are public and private clouds and a hybrid cloud deployment involves a combination of public, private or on-premises infrastructure.
- What can the cloud offer? A cloud-based financial solution alleviates the burden of system upgrades, support and maintenance from your IT team, integrates with other applications and improves productivity and mobility with remote access.
- Is the cloud secure? Cloud providers offer secure environments that incorporate the latest standards and are supported by a team of security experts. Their security measures exceed what many nonprofits have in house.
- Can the cloud improve reporting and transparency? Cloud-based financial software streamlines accounting practices with built-in and customizable workflows and comprehensive audit trails that strengthen the audit process.
- How do I choose software? Nonprofits are unique organizations that require specific management support. Choose a solution that is aligned with operations, is flexible enough to keep up with changes, and that is easy to learn and use.
- How do I choose a provider? Your cloud provider should be well-versed with the challenges faced by nonprofits and the cloud-based solutions that solve those challenges.
Nonprofit organizations are turning to cloud-based financial management systems to improve operations, strengthen oversight of funding and grant projects, and alleviate the time and financial burden of managing IT systems while improving security measures. Download the eBook and contact JMT Consulting Group for guidance with evaluating your cloud options and choosing the technology best aligned with your operations and goals.
By JMT Consulting Group, national provider of technology and services to the nonprofit sector